Wednesday, May 20, 2020

First Days in China- Beijing (Aug 9, 2016)

China's been great so far! Beijing is our first stop, as we're doing a short language prep program here for 2 weeks before heading to our main site, Hangzhou. We've mostly been hanging out and exploring the campus at the university, and we had our first Chinese class today. We actually learned a lot about ordering food today, so it was cool because I got to practice using some of these phrases to order food at the campus canteen (which is mostly what we've used chinese for so far).

The welcome dinner was fun! We all split up and sat at tables with Canadian students who are doing the same program as us for these 2 weeks. It was funny though because they had only had 5 hours of Chinese classes before getting to China, so they weren't too good haha. But they had a great attitude!


This is the university motto written everywhere on campus: I think it means "students become teachers and behave as models"


Huge bell tower in a courtyard


Cool architecture on campus!

I just celebrated my 21st birthday yesterday! Technically I turned 21 while in an airplane... -_- My friends from home joked that I should order a shot for the plane, but let's be real, I wasn't about to turn up all by myself in an airplane. It's pretty ironic that I turn 21 as soon as I get to China, where the drinking age is 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment