Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Initial Arrival to Hangzhou (Aug 20, 2016)

We arrived in Hangzhou safely. We took the "gao tie" (bullet train) and made it to Hangzhou in 6 hours.



283 km/hr = 176 mph :O


We tried to order food off this menu but didn't really know what anything was, even if we could read the literal translation. Yikes, still have a lot to learn!

Warm welcome to our dorms in Hangzhou


It's extremely humid here; I don't like the weather! We're constantly sweating, and it's really uncomfortable. I don't know if you heard, but G20 is going to start here in early September (20 of the top nation leaders are coming to Hangzhou for an environmental meeting). It's super cool and obviously really important. But it's also slightly inconvenient right now because so many shops and restaurants are closing or limiting their hours for the next two or so weeks for G20. Security is very tight here, and we need to show our room keys or our student IDs or passports everywhere to get into campus and into our dorm. This part is annoying, and the on-campus supermarket where we wanted to get bottled water at was even closed by 8 pm, so we couldn't go! I hope it's not too much of a pain the next few weeks.

Luckily our checked luggage came in on time, so I have all of my stuff. But I'm slightly annoyed because no one told us we couldn't check aerosol cans, so they took my bug spray out of my checked bag and had to break my TSA lock to do that. I just put the spray in my carry on, and it was fine, so I still have it. But the the handle on my big duffle also broke during transportation- it can't go up and down anymore. :/ I'm just glad I have my bug spray still because mosquitoes are supposed to be bad here.

My room isn't too big, but it's nice and air conditioned luckily! I have my own bathroom too!


---

Here are some pics around campus and the neighboring area:




Our dorm


View across the street from the dorm


Cafeteria


Anh's happy place: Bean cafe, just outside campus


Xiao Chi: our favorite place to get quick, inexpensive noodles or wonton soup. A family-owned place. When you go in, the owner always greets you with: "你吃什么?" (what are you eating)

Hangzhou is a little more industrial than I expected. It's definitely a city but just a little quieter than Beijing, which is nice. Not sure how far we are from the famous West Lake.

Since they're preparing for the G20 conference here, I've been looking to see whether the air seems cleaner than usual. I've noticed the sky in Hangzhou is still a little bit smoggy (not as much as in Beijing) but maybe slightly better than it'd normally be?

---

Aug 24, 2016

Had to sneak a peak at Hangzhou's renowned West Lake!




So peaceful and majestic

No comments:

Post a Comment